One day while on Pinterest (ha! So many posts all around the world could/do start like that!) ....I came across string art, it's one of those things I thought looked amazing and hopefully quiet easy. I can confirm it looks amazing, is quiet easy but takes AGES!
I really wanted to make sure all of the fonts for the wedding matched, as we had our invites done, I used this font, it's called Beautiful Mess (link to download, I also purchased it for this website!!)
So stage one was to find the wood, we went to Homebase and got a large piece of chipboard as I really liked the look. Then to dull the yellow colour I mixed white satin wood paint with water and kept layering it until I got the colour that I wanted.
I printed out the title, aptly named Table Plan in the wedding font and cut around it, leaving just a little white around the edges. Then positioned the words on the board, after a few rearrangements I then taped the words down.
Once everything was in the right place the looong job of carefully positioning the nails and hitting them in. I traced the edge of the letters with the line of nails, trying to keep them as straight and inline as possible.
I used a mini pair of pliers to keep the nail in the right place. This was really helpful as I had to place the nails so close together. It also reduced, not eliminated and amount of times I bashed my fingers!
So I just kept doing this, all the way around each letter. Then I had a little break!
And back to work.... Making sure to follow the outline on the inside as well. And a while later! Ta daaaaa!
Next, remove the the paper, I caught a few pieces of the paper which made it slightly difficult to get out, but I gave it a pull, if any nails came out I just hit them back in.
Next using embroidery thread I tied one end to one nail using a little knot and then lopped around the next nail. I forgot to take a photo, sorry, but I always kept the thread on the outside, looping inwards so that a line is on the outside of the letters. Once the outline was done I just went zigzagging across the whole letter. No pattern, just making sure that each area was evenly covered, then moved onto the next letter.
I then designed and printed the tables, again using the Beautiful Mess font for the table name and a font called District Pro for the names of our guests. I then arranged the tables onto the wood, once I was happy I then used the same nails as I did for the string art, and hammered one nail into each corner!
I'm a happily married 30 something who has a fondness for planning and organising, an appreciation for spreadsheets, a love of all things wedding, a passion for DIY and am totally smitten with our two cats Bruce and Eddie.